What is Microneedling?
Both Microneedling Pen and Microneedling Rollers are forms of microneedling however one is a pen form whilst the other is a roller. They are both used to stimulate the production of collagen by needling the skin. Microneedling causes micro-injuries to the epidermis, which signals the body to produce collagen to remodel the damaged area, which in effect rejuvenates the skin making your skin look younger and fresher and effective treats an array of common skin concerns such as acne scarring, lines and wrinkles, uneven skin texture, stretch marks, hair thinning and more.
At Beauty by MBK the Dermaroller is used to cover Surface areas on the body that may suffer from:
· Acne scarring
· Stretch Marks
· Aged and Sun-Damaged Skin
Body Areas that can be Treated with Dermaroller
Consistent Treatments Of Microneedling can Effectively Reduce the following:
Fine lines and Wrinkles
Oil production from open pores
Treatable Skin Conditions with Microneedling
- Acne Scarring
- Ice pick Scarring
- Closed Acne Lesions
- Stretch Marks
- Hair loss
Microneedling Pen Vs Micro Roller
- Microneedling Pen can be adjusted to work at different speeds and has a detachable head meaning different length cartitradges can be attached to the pen
- Microroller is disposable and comes in one length
- Microroller and Microneedling both have the same function however are just different in terms of their packaging
- Microneedling pen is easier to use on the face as it is easier to use round fragile areas such as the eyes, nose and mouth
- At beauty by MBK , Meliz uses Microneedling Pen on the face and uses The Micro roller on the body.
- The microroller is better for larger surface areas such as the body as it is more time efficient/
Avoid Accutane for the past 6 months
Do not use topical agents that may increase sensitivity of skin: retinoids, topical antibiotics, exfoliants, acids that may be drying or irritating to the skin (such as alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) beta hydroxyl acids (BHA), exfoliating masks, salicylic acids, hydroquinone, and benzoyl peroxide acne products) 5-7 days prior.
Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil for 3 days prior to treatment. These agents will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
Avoidance of IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure or sunburn for 2 weeks prior
No waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis to area being treated 5-7 days prior
No shaving the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there is dense hair present in the treatment area, closely shave the area the day before you arrive to your appointment. Moles, warts or actinic (solar) keratosis cannot be treated.
If you are prone to cold sores, take antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and day of treatment. Call office for prescription.
Preparing the skin for this procedure will ensure optimum results. Healthy skin will respond better and results will last longer. Skin cells need nutrients for best function.
Skin care for pre-conditioning 4-6 weeks prior. Provider will make recommendations if pre-conditioning needed.
- Dietary recommendations for optimal healing and result. We recommend Collagen MD Advanced Connective Tissue Support Formula for 2 weeks pre-and post-treatment. Collagen MD products are available in our office, no prescription needed.
Pregnancy, actively infected or actively inflamed skin, skin irritation, cystic acne to area being treated, keloid scars, allergies to topical lidocaine and sunburn.
Day Of Treatment
- Skin is clean without lotion, oil, makeup, powder, perfume or sunscreen. Patient may wash face in office upon arrival.
- Inform provider of any relevant changes in your medical history and of all medications you are taking.
- Notify provider of any cosmetic tattoos to areas being treated.
- Topical Lidocaine will be applied in office for 30-45 min prior to treatment.
If combining Micro-Needling with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), your blood will be drawn in office while you are numbing.
Post Treatment Instructions
Immediately after your Medical Micro-Needling procedure, your health care provider will apply a hyaluronic mask for 5-10 min and moisturiser.
Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen Motrin or Advil for 1 week. DO NOT ice face or use arnica or bromelain. These agents may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation.
Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for 2 weeks. After 24 hours, always use a full spectrum sun screen SPF30 or above. When exposed to sun, wear a hat and apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Use Tylenol only as needed for any soreness
- Optional dietary recommendations: Eat fresh pineapple, tart cherry juice (no sugar), salmon (omega-3 fish oil), bone broth based soups, continue taking collagen 1 & 3 supplement (Collagen MD Advanced Connective Tissue Support Formula) for 2 weeks to optimize healing. Avoid dairy, wheat and sugar!
A sunburn -like effect is normal. The skin will feel tight, dry, sensitive to touch. Treat skin gently washing with a gentle cleanser, cool water, using hands only and pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment. Redness or sensitivity might well be present. Some small bruising is common with PRP injections and may last up to 5-7 days and swelling can last 2-4 days depending on how aggressive of a treatment you received.
Plan social calendar accordingly!
- Avoid strenuous exercises that cause sweating, jacuzzi, sauna or steam baths for 24 hours due to open pores, or up to 48 hours if inflammation exists.
- May only use Oxygenetix Make-up post procedure or Mineral makeup after 24 hours
- Sleep on your back with head of bed elevated to minimize swelling or pain as needed
- Peeling may start 3-5 days after treatment. You will notice skin dryness and flaking. This is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. Do not pick, scratch or scrub at treated skin! Allow old skin to flake off naturally and keep moisturized AT ALL TIMES with Hyaluronic serum and TGF- growth factor followed by Le Mieux Derma Relief Serum for extra dry skin every 2 hours if needed.
You may restart your regular skin care products and Retin-A once your skin is no longer irritated.
Many patients have noticed continued skin improvement for months following the last treatment.
- For best results, we recommend follow up and repeat treatments in 4-6 weeks and a series of 3-5 treatments depending on your personalized care plan.
- *For further information or to book an appointment, please call our office (805)-540-3071 or complete New Patient Request form on this website
What Should I Avoid Following The Treatment?
You may look and feel as though you have sunburn, to ensure your skin returns to normal as quickly as possible and to achieve the best results we advise:
- Always make sure that your hands are thoroughly clean when touching the treatment area post procedure.
- Aggressive Skin Care Products should be avoided until the redness has subsided and it is recommended that makeup is not applied for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid sauna’s, exercise, hot baths/showers until the redness has gone (this is usually within 24 hours minimum)
- Avoid intensive sunlight exposure and artificial UV exposure for a period of at least 2-3 weeks after the procedure.
- Fake tan should not be applied 10-14 days prior, and 7 days following a Dermaroller treatment